View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share

Benning to rededicate 'Round House'

POSTED: January 25, 2011 9:48 a.m.


FORT BENNING (AP) — The U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit will rededicate a building known as the Round House this week near a firing range at Fort Benning.

Officials at the west Georgia post say the wooden Round House was built in 1938 and has served as a hunting lodge, Officers Club annex and a meeting hall.

High-ranking officers, including Gens. Omar Bradley and George Patton, spent time at the firing range during the World War II era. John Wayne used the building as a retreat while filming "The Green Berets" on post in 1967.

The building had been reported to be slated for demolition before the Mellon Foundation donated money for its restoration.


  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Please wait ...