View Mobile Site

Hinesville's earliest days

Liberty lore

Most popular today

  • Bookmark and Share

Play some games on the Courier
Search for valuable coupons and print them out

Courier Friends to Follow

POSTED: September 10, 2012 11:49 a.m.
/

This map is a reproduction of an advertisement in area papers in 1873, offering lots in the newly created Hinesville for sale.

View Larger

In 1837 the Liberty County seat of government was moved from Riceborough to Hinesville. It was named for Charlton Hines, an early settler who was serving as senator from Liberty County and was instrumental in having the county seat moved to Hinesville.

A survey of land for the town was completed in March of 1837 and was purchased from heirs of John Martin. It adjoined the field known as Zouck’s Old Field. The land was split into 60 lots and six were reserved for public buildings, including a Methodist Church.

The lots were sold in April of 1837.  The most expensive lot sold for $67.00. Charlton Hines purchased 8 lots for a total of $309.50.

A two-story building of wood construction was erected in the center of town for the courthouse with space reserved for a green on each side. A watering place was provided on the southeast corner for the horses and a pump was installed for public use.  The Liberty County Courthouse opened for business on Sept. 12, 1837.

The first mayor and town council for Hinesville was selected on Dec. 10, 1893. It was incorporated as the city of Hinesville on Aug. 9, 1916.

 

What others say about this article

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 

Featured Video


Please wait ...