View Mobile Site

Most popular today

  • Bookmark and Share

Play some games on the Courier
Search for valuable coupons and print them out

Courier Friends to Follow

House blaze displaces family

Grease fire considered cause

POSTED: December 6, 2012 7:00 a.m.

A house fire Saturday in Hinesville Saturday displaced a family of four.

The blaze, which is being blamed on a grease fire that got out of control, heavily damaged a single-family home in the 800 block of West Oglethorpe Highway. No injuries were reported.

According to Hinesville Fire Investigator Robert Kitchings, the fire began shortly after 1:30 p.m. when a resident, identified as Kim Collins, placed a pot of grease on the stove to make french fries. Kitchings said flames ignited the grease, sending flames into an extension of the stove’s hood. The blaze spread to the kitchen cabinets and caused heavy damage to the kitchen. The rest of the home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage, Kitchings added.

The fire was put out minutes after the Hinesville firefighters arrived. A section of West Oglethorpe Highway was closed to re-route traffic because firefighters had to run a hose across the heavily traveled roadway.

The displaced family was going to be housed in another residence provided by the landlord.

 

What others say about this article

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 

Featured Video


Please wait ...