View Mobile Site

Fire takes home from family of six

  • Bookmark and Share

Play some games on the Courier
Search for valuable coupons and print them out
POSTED: March 18, 2008 5:00 a.m.
Photo by Lewis Levine/

Responding units came from Walthourville Volunteer, Hinesville and Gum Branch Fire departments.

View Larger
View More »
A fire in Walthourville Friday afternoon left a family of six homeless.
According to Liberty County Fire Coordinator, James Ashdown the fire started shortly after 4 p.m. in a doublewide mobile home in the Cedar Hill mobile home park in the 5500 block of West Oglethorpe Highway.
Ashdown said a woman was at home at the time and noticed smoke coming from the rear of the house when she looked out a window. When she stepped outside she saw flames and immediately rushed her children outside.
Walthourville firefighter Shawn Smith said when he arrived heavy smoke and flames were coming from the rear of the home.
"The fire went into the roof of the home and spread quickly," Smith said.
The home, according to Ashdown, is a total loss. He said the family's pet rabbits were killed in the fire.
The family, according to Herman Scott of the Red Cross, will be put up in a hotel till other arrangements can be made.
There were no injuries reported.
The name of the family had not been released by officials.
Units from Walthourville, Hinesville and Gum Bbranch responded to the fire which took nearly 90 minutes to bring under control.
 

What others say about this article

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Most Popular

 

Please wait ...