View Mobile Site

Discarded pizza box sparks blaze

Seven people lost home, two vehicles

Most popular today

  • Bookmark and Share

Play some games on the Courier
Search for valuable coupons and print them out

Courier Friends to Follow

POSTED: June 30, 2014 9:06 a.m.
Lewis Levine/

Firefighters respond to a blaze on Wells Road in Gum Branch on Thursday night.

View Larger

A fire Thursday night in Gum Branch destroyed a single-wide trailer in the 400 block of Wells Road, displacing seven people. Five adults lived in the home — three women and two men — and two girls, ages 6 and 12.

The blaze, which reportedly began shortly after 8 p.m., likely broke out when one of the residents placed an empty pizza box in a fire pit that was thought to have been extinguished. The resident went inside and, apparently, the box caught fire. The flames spread to furniture stored in the carport, raced through the carport and reached the home.

The family was notified by a neighbor that the carport was on fire, and everyone — including two dogs and seven puppies — safely got out of the home, according to Liberty County Station 15 Lt. Stephen Licwinko.

The fire was ruled accidental.

The family lost their home, two cars, a motorcycle and a four-wheeler.

When firefighters from Station 15 arrived, the home was 50 percent engulfed in flames, Licwinko estimated.
Walthourville firefighters assisted at the scene.

The Red Cross has been called to assist the family. Anyone interested in helping or donating items can call 320-4356 or 977-1010.

 

What others say about this article

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 

Featured Video


Please wait ...