View Mobile Site

Electrical problem may have started fire

Walthourville official loses home

Most popular today

  • Bookmark and Share

Play some games on the Courier
Search for valuable coupons and print them out

Courier Friends to Follow

POSTED: July 18, 2014 11:39 a.m.
Photo by Lewis Levine/

Firefighters work to get flames under control.

View Larger

The Carter Road home of Walthourville Mayor Pro Tem Patricia Green was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning.
Walthourville Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department Chief Terry Satterfield said that when his firefighters arrived, the wood-frame home was engulfed in flames.
A neighbor who lived across the street thought a brush fire had broken out, so she called 911 around 1:30 a.m. Upon further inspection, she said she noticed flickering light coming through a window and went to investigate. Around the back of Green’s house, the neighbor found flames shooting out of the structure.
 Walthourville Police Chief Tracey McFadden said that when Lt. Wade Long arrived to investigate, he saw the blaze and began knocking on the door to see if anyone was home. Fighters later learned that Green and her family were not inside at the time of the fire because they were on vacation.
Satterfield said the fire appears to have started in a circuit-breaker box in the home. The fire took several hours to put out, and officials consider the home to be a total loss.


 

What others say about this article

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 

Featured Video


Please wait ...