Need a last-minute Christmas side dish? Check out Christine Fernandez’s flavorful cheesy bacon potatoes. There is nothing better than bacon, potatoes and cheese, right? These easy scalloped potatoes will be the talk of your table!
See step-by-step photos of Christine’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide at: www.justapinch.com/cheesypo tatoes
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch”...
What you need
6 large potatoes; peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup onion; chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese; shredded
1 cup bacon; cooked and crumbled
2 cups milk
½ cup half and half
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
• Using a large pot, sautè chopped onions in butter until soft but not browned.
• In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
• Stir flour mixture into onion mixture. Add milk and half and half.
• Stir and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken (about
• Turn off heat.
• Add 1½ cups cheese to the sauce and stir until melted and smooth.
• Add potatoes, bacon and stir well to combine.
• Pour mixture into a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
• Remove foil, sprinkle reserved cheese over top and return to oven. Bake
30 minutes or until potatoes are soft, cheese is melted and edges begin to brown.
• Let stand a few minutes before serving to allow the sauce to thicken.
©2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club. Brought to you by American Hometown Media.