This fall-favorite dessert is perfect for any time of the year and is one that everyone will love. Have all the taste of apple pie without any of the guilt with bistroMD’s apple walnut crisp recipe. This sweet treat has only 160 calories per serving and is a perfect size for your next family get-together.
Apple “crisp” or “crumble” gets its name from the perfectly golden crumbly and crisp topping after you bake it in the oven. This well-known dessert is a staple for any fall gathering, which is around the time for apple harvesting. We suggest using Golden Delicious apples because they are common to find year-round, but you can also use locally grown apples, when in season, for even more flavor.
This recipe is stuffed with sweet cinnamon apples and chopped walnuts for a sweet, melt-in-your-mouth center. The apple crisp’s topping contains oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salts to create an impeccable crumble finish.
Chef’s tip: Top with a dusting of cinnamon for an incredibly delicious dessert.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Nutrition per Serving, serves 10
Net Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Protein: 2 grams
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup old-fashioned oats
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
4 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
1 pinch ground cloves
3 pounds Golden Delicious apples (about 7 cups), peeled and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and oil a 1½-quart baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup flour, oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt.
3. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.
4. Stir in the chopped walnuts and set aside.
5. Combine sliced apples, 2 tablespoons flour, cloves and vanilla extract. Mix well so apples are evenly coated.
6. Transfer apples to a baking dish and sprinkle the topping over the apples.
7. Bake until bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 50 minutes.
8. Serve warm.