By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Breast-health grants awarded
Liberty and Long health programs will benefit
web 0410 Suzie Q lunch
Members of the Suzie Qs, a group of local residents committed to helping find a cure for breast cancer, prepare spaghetti lunches Friday at the health department to raise money for a cancer victims family. The department recently was awarded a grant to support the breast-care program. - photo by Hollie Moore Barnidge

Liberty and Long counties’ health departments, in partnership with Liberty Regional Medical Center, Diversity Health Center and the Southeast Georgia Communities Project, have been awarded a $33,092 grant to support the breast-care program. This program will serve uninsured Hispanic women living in the Sand Hill area of Long County by providing screening mammograms, diagnostic care and breast-health education and outreach.
The Coastal Georgia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure awarded this grant and nine others totaling nearly $280,000 to organizations across southeast Georgia that provide breast cancer services.
“We are extremely pleased to be able to lend financial support in terms of grant funding to organizations right here in southeast Georgia that are working every day to help stop breast cancer,” Affiliate president Caroline Keller said.
“Grantees will use the funds to educate women about the importance of self breast exams, provide free mammograms for women who otherwise would not be able to afford them and provide support to women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.”
The affiliate service area includes Liberty, Long, Bryan, Camden, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn and McIntosh counties, according to Keller. The Komen Coastal Georgia Affiliate works with local health-care professionals and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive-needs assessment, she said.
“This community profile, a standard practice of all Komen Affiliates, is then used to establish a local grant application and review process consistent with the organization’s standards and mission,” Keller said.
The affiliate raises funds throughout the year, the largest fundraising event being the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, she said.
“The 2010 race grossed $275,000,” Keller said. Funds raised from the race allowed the affiliate to award the grants. Teams and individuals can still register for the 2011 race, which will be April 16, she said. The race will begin at 8:15 a.m. in Telfair Square in downtown Savannah.
“The goal for this year’s Susan G. Komen Savannah Race for the Cure is $330,000,” affiliate volunteer Sally Silbermann said. “The goal is also to register 200 teams and we’re at 170 (as of Wednesday).”
“The Suzie Q’s started out with a $2,000 goal and have raised over $6,000 so far,” said Suzie Q’s founder Deidre Howell. “We have about 30 folks registered (for the race) as part of the Suzie Q team. Our goal for that was 106.”
The Suzie Q’s, a local breast-cancer support group, participates in the annual race and other fundraising activities to support breast-cancer research and services.
About 75 percent of net proceeds raised by the Coastal Georgia Affiliate remain in coastal Georgia, Keller said. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast-cancer research, she said.
For more information call 912-232-2535 or go to www.komencoastalgeorgia.org.

Sign up for our e-newsletters