ST. SIMONS ISLAND — Archaeologists are searching for signs of an ancient Spanish mission on Georgia's coast, but digging so far has not uncovered any signs of it.
The Florida Times-Union reports (http://bit.ly/wF7Z7Q) that a team of scientists sampling soil on St. Simons Island found plenty of Native American pottery but no signs of the 400-year-old Spanish mission once located on the south end of the island.
University of North Florida professor Keith Ashley and Brunswick archaeologist Fred Cook believe the site was at or near what is now Neptune Park and the commercial village on the island's southernmost tip.
The Spanish built the mission on St. Simons in 1606, and relocated it in 1684 to Black Hammock Island near Jacksonville. A similar mission has been found on Liberty County's St. Catherines Island.