The Taylors Creek Cemetery Association is searching for descendants of residents of the displaced Taylors Creek community, which was inside what is now the Fort Stewart Military Reservation.
Descendants will be granted access on Sunday to tour the cemetery and pay tribute to their ancestors. If you would like to be added to the association’s mailing list for more information, please call 229-325-3130 or email email@example.com.
Until 1941, Taylors Creek was village that stood at the junction of the Canoochee and Taylors creeks. The community was surrounded by farms and functioned as a trading center from the early nineteenth century until the establishment of Camp Stewart in 1940-41. In 1940 Congress created military bases across the country, and Taylors Creek was one of the communities included in land north of Hinesville chosen as an artillery and basic training post.
Surnames of community residents buried in the cemetery include Alexander, Beasley, Bird, Bradley, Butler, Caswell, Clark, Cox, Daniel, Darsey, Davis, Delettre, Floyd, Fudge, Geiger, Girardeau, Grice, Harnage, Hendry, Jones, Laing, Maddox, Martin, May, McCall, McFail, McGillis, McGowen, Miller, Mims, Mooney, Newham, Norris, Olmstead, Porter, Rambo, Richardson, Riviere, Rustin, Ryon, Shaw, Sheppard, Shumat, Shuptrine, Smith, Stacy, Staley, Stephens, Strickland, Suggs, Whitten, Williams, Williamson and Wilson.