As this month, visitors to seven of Georgia’s 17 public shooting ranges, including in Richmond Hill, will have new operating hours. Hours will alter based on the time of year, and day of the week:
• Through-Oct. 31: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday; 1-7 p.m. Sunday
• Nov. 1-March 14: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday; 1-6 p.m. Sunday. Ranges close at sunset or 6 p.m., whichever is earliest.
• Closed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
The ranges getting new hours are staffed by safety officers. Ranges include:
• Wilson Shoals (Wilson Shoals Wildlife Management Area)
• Richmond Hill (Richmond Hill WMA)
• Mike Commander (Chickasawhatchee WMA)
• Clybel (Clybel WMA)
• Ocmulgee (Ocmulgee WMA)
• West Point (West Point WMA)
• Dixon Memorial (Dixon Memorial WMA)
Georgia’s ranges offer a variety of lengths, from 25 to 100 yards, with some designated for rifles or handguns. A shotgun range with skeet, trap and 5-stand opportunities is available at Clybel WMA.
Range visitors, ages 16-64, should note that many ranges require a license, wildlife management area license or Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass.
To get free updates on Georgia’s 17 public shooting ranges (closures, new ranges, etc.), be sure to “click” on the red envelope at www.georgiawildlife.com/FirearmRanges/Info and sign up.
For more information, visit www.georgiawildlife.com/FirearmRanges/Info.