By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Georgia Power offers safety tips as winter temps set in
Warmer weather may be coming, but winter isn't over yet
Georgia Power logo

As winter weather arrives, Georgia Power encourages customers to keep safety in mind and offers safety tips about electrical fire prevention and tools for home safety. 

Developing a schedule to conduct home checks of appliances and outlets is a simple way to catch potential fire hazards, and Georgia Power offers the following tips to review: 

•Keep space heaters away from furniture, curtains, sinks, tubs and water. Do not lay rugs or carpet over the cord. Do not use heaters if the cord is frayed or broken, and do not use an extension cord. Turn off heaters before leaving home or going to bed.

•Never use generators indoors. They can produce a dangerous gas called carbon monoxide that you cannot see or smell.  Be sure to follow manufacturer instructions carefully. 

•Do not place appliance cords where they will come in contact with the stove or other heated surfaces. Do not hang appliance cords over countertops, where they might be accidentally pulled down.

•Worn or frayed appliance cords can cause fires, electric shock and even electrocution. Inspect cords regularly to assess wear and replace cords as needed.

•Only use surge protectors with internal circuit breakers. These units will trip the breaker if the power strip is overloaded and shorted to prevent overheating. 

•Prevent overloading equipment and circuits. It can cause insulation to burn, create sparks and leave exposed wires. 

•Prevent oil and dirt buildup on electrical appliances which can cause electrical equipment to overheat and short-circuit.

•Know where the nearest fire extinguishers are and how to use them. Only Class C extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical equipment.

Sign up for our e-newsletters