Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Gary W. Black alerted Georgians to the recall of certain Ainsworth pet food products that are sold in Georgia for potential health risk to cats.
Georgia Department of Agriculture inspectors will check retail stores to make sure the recalled products have been removed from sale. Here is the recall notice from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration:
Ainsworth Pet Nutrition recalled five varieties of Rachael Ray Nutrish wet cat food — Ocean Fish-a-licious, Lip Smackin’ Sardine and Mackerel, Ocean Fish & Chicken Catch-iatorie, Tuna Purrfection and certain lot codes of Paw Lickin’ Chicken and Liver — because of potentially elevated levels of vitamin D.
Symptoms of excessive vitamin D consumption in cats usually develop within 12-36 hours after ingestion and may include vomiting or diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and muscle tremors or seizures. Any cat experiencing these symptoms should be taken to a veterinarian immediately.
To date, there have been there have been 11 reports of illness associated with these products. None of these reports have come from Georgia.
The products being recalled are listed below and were distributed to retail outlets, including food service accounts and supermarkets, in the U.S. Consumers can find the code and use-by dates on the top of each package. Two variety packs that contain some of these recalled products (the Chicken Lovers Variety Pack, and the Ocean Lovers Variety Pack) also will be recalled. The recalled products are distributed nationwide. No other Rachael Ray Nutrish products are affected by this recall.
The affected products are:
- Paw Lickin’ Chicken and Liver (2.8 ounces), UPC code 071190007032, best-by dates through Aug. 17
- Ocean Fish and Chicken Catch-iatorie (2.8 ounces), UPC code 071190007049, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
- Ocean Fish-a-Licious (2.8 ounces), UPC code 071190007056, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
- Tuna Purrfection (2.8 ounces), UPC code 071190007063, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
- Lip Smackin’ Sardine and Mackerel (2.8 ounces), UPC code 071190007070, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
- Chicken Lovers Variety Pack (12-count pack of 2.8-ounce cups), UPC code 071190007773, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
- Ocean Lovers Variety Pack (12-count pack of 2.8-ounce cups), UPC code 071190007780, best-by dates through Dec. 1, 2016
Ainsworth is working to ensure the removal of all affected products from store shelves. Retailers with affected products are asked to contact 1-888-943-4218 for additional information. Consumers with questions about the recall are encouraged to contact Ainsworth’s Consumer Care Team at 1-877-650-3486 or go to www.nutrishforpets.com/newsdisclaimer. Representatives will be available from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
This is one of several recalls impacting Georgia this week. To view a comprehensive list, go to www.agr.georgia.gov/recalls.aspx. If this recall expands or additional details become available, the website will provide the most up-to-date information. Also, follow the Georgia Department of Agriculture on Twitter @GDAFoodSafety for recall alerts and food safety tips.