By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Schools to close Wednesday
1-2 inches of snow predicted
The National Weather Service is predicting 1 to 2 inches of snow for our area. - photo by NWS map

Liberty County Schools will be closed Wednesday. A statement on the system's website said the possibility of bad weather prompted the action.

Here's the statement:

"Due to the possibility of inclement weather, the Liberty County School System will be closed to both staff and students on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.  Staff and students should plan to report back to work/school on Thursday, January 4, 2018 unless notified otherwise. The latest information will be posted to the Liberty County School System website as well as LCSS social media outlets. Thank you for your continued support."

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Wednesday, forecasting freezing weather tonight with a 30 percent chance of freezing rain that could turn into snow Wednesday, when the chance of percipitation will be 70 percent. The high Wednesday is expected to remain in the 30s. Skies will clear Wednesday night.

Afternoon highs are expected to be in the low 40s and nightly lows in the low 20s Thursday and Friday.

Larry Logan, assistant director of the Liberty Emergency Management Agency, said the forecast he received from the NWS's Charleston office said 1 to 2 inches of snow and sleet accumulation is expected Wednesday. There will also be an 8-10 mph northwest wind that will drop the wind chill factor into the teens during the day Wednesday.

The winter storm watch means that travel will likely become difficult. The service warns that exposure to the elements could result in frost bite and hypothermia. Wear coats, hats and gloves if you have to go outside. If you have to travel, use extreme caution. Drive slow.

5AM Jan2 2018
Sign up for our e-newsletters