By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man burns face
Liberty Co fire service

A utility worker who was changing an aerosol paint can Friday morning in the cab of his work truck learned that lighting a cigarette in an enclosed area could lead to disastrous results.

According to Hinesville Fire Department Public Information Officer Capt. Robert Kitchings, the man, a utility worker who was doing an underground locate in the area of west Oglethorpe and Link street, was marking the area with spray paint when he entered the cab of his utility vehicle to change an areosol paint can.  

The unidentified man decided to light a cigarette while changing the can causing the cans vapor to ignite into a flash fire burning his beard and face. 

The man was transported to Liberty County Regional Medical Center In Hinesville for treatment. 

Kitchings is unsure if the man had to be flown out to another facility.

Sign up for our e-newsletters