By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Soldiers back in time for turkey
Only small units from Stewart/Hunter still in Afghanistan
4Sandra Hayes Christian Thompson 8 Heather Thompson Aubrey Thompson 18
Sandra Hayes, Christian Thompson, 8, Heather Thompson and Aubrey Thompson hold signs welcoming their soldiers. - photo by Photo by Randy C. Murray

The 3rd Infantry Division’s 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team is getting home from Afghanistan just in time for Thanksgiving.
The main body of the Vanguard Brigade started redeploying Friday and will continue through Monday, Fort Stewart public affairs officer Kevin Larson said. With the return, only small support detachments will be deployed, he said.
Nearly 500 4th IBCT soldiers, most with the 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, returned home Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday, the bleachers at Cottrell Field were filled and  families filled a roped-off area in front of the bleachers.
Despite the crowd, Maliya Connor, 4, and Ian Fraley, also 4, chased each other around their moms. Wrapped in a blanket to keep warm, Layla Connor waited with Nakayla Spencer, 14, for Connor’s husband, Pfc. Marque Connor. Jessica Fraley and Elijah Heath, 10, waited for her husband, Sgt. 1st Class Donald Fraley. Both soldiers are assigned to the 3/15th Inf. Regt.
Sandra Hayes held a large poster welcoming her son-in-law, 1st Sgt. Lee Thompson, also with the 3/15th. Her grandson, Christian Thompson, 8, and Thompson’s wife, Heather, stood close by their daughter Aubrey, 18. They held a large poster that read: “256 days apart; 500+ emails sent; Having him home — Priceless.”
Colt Guree, 2, sat quietly in his stroller with a tiny American flag in his hand. Above him was a poster with a picture of his dad, 1st Lt. Darren Guree, and the words, “My hero.” Guree’s wife, Stephanie, stood next to Colt, cradling Everett, 1.
“It’s a relief to have him home and safe,” she said. She was cut off by the roaring crowd. The soldiers had begun marching onto Cottrell Field, accompanied by music from the 3rd ID band.
The formation reported to Maj. Gen. Mike Murray, commander of the 3rd ID and Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield. The commander and command sergeant major of the 703rd Brigade Support Battalion uncased the unit’s colors, signifying their unit was home.
Murray briefly welcomed them home, then told them to join their families. Hundreds of people poured onto the field, some screaming, “I see him. I see him.”
First Sgt. Andre Green, an infantryman, said it felt good to be back. He surprised his wife by saying he wanted them to spend Thanksgiving together, rather than visit other family.
His wife, Sgt. 1st Class Tanya Green said the separation had not been as bad as she feared. “I thought we were going to be separated for a whole year,” she said, adding she recently redeployed with 3rd ID’s 3rd Sustainment Brigade. “But I got to see him at the six-month mark. He came to my promotion ceremony. We pretty much spent the whole first year of our marriage separated.”
Lara Tripp said she was glad her husband, Sgt. William Tripp Jr., was able to spend a holiday with their 18-month-old daughter, Jillian.
“She was 9 months old when he left,” Tripp said. “He missed her first birthday, her first steps and her first word.”
Tripp’s parents, William Sr. and Kathy Tripp, came from Bluffton, S.C., to welcome their son.
While others watched for the soldiers’ arrival, John Guest took his 20-month-old grandson, Wesley Patrick Guest. Guest said Wesley was ready for his dad, Spc. Casey Guest, to come home.
As families swarmed the formation, Sgt. 1st Class Eric Chini found himself embraced from all sides. He took his daughter Alicia, 8, in his arms while his son Tavion, 12, hugged his waist and his wife, Patrice, wrapped her arms around all of them. Wiping a tear away, Chini declined to say how he felt.

Sign up for our e-newsletters