Calling all canines! Listen up, pups, because this event is just for you!
Bring your leash and your owner to celebrate the Dog Days of Summer on Savannah’s historic River Street. This free event will take place Aug. 7-8 during First Friday & Saturday. You will be in doggy heaven all weekend with a variety of fun activities for you and your two-legged owner to enjoy.
If your tail is already wagging with excitement, then show off that enthusiasm by entering the Y100 pup parade & costume contest at
7 p.m. Friday. Sign up to strut your stuff with all your doggy pals from 6-7 p.m. at the Y100 booth. All costumes are encouraged, but there will be a separate category for superheroes.
Following the contest, grab a seat and cuddle up next to your best friend for a doggy date night. Enjoy an outdoor movie presented by Banfield Pet Hospital featuring “Guardians of the Galaxy” at 8:45 p.m. If you are not a scaredy-cat, then stick around for the intermission to watch First Friday fireworks presented by Wet Willie’s Savannah at 9:30 p.m.
If that isn’t enough to keep your attention, then take advantage of the following activities that are sure to keep both you and your human entertained:
• Shop at select vendor booths for gourmet treats and all of your doggy accessory needs.
• Capture the weekend fun with a picture at the MetroPCS pet photo booth.
• Cool off at the misting station tent, or go for a swim in one of the pup pools.
• Stop by the Banfield Pet Hospital tent for an owner “cone of shame” photo op and veterinary health education. (Your owner will have the chance to walk in your paws by peeping through the cone of shame. Don’t worry they won’t be humiliated for long, and they will be rewarded with a fun giveaway.)
• Give your owners a chance to practice their downward dog with a free yoga session hosted by Dancing Dogs Yoga Savannah. The class will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday (sorry, humans only).
Weekend festivities will kick off from 4-10 p.m. Friday and continue from
10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday. Regional artisans will be set up along Rousakis Riverfront Plaza displaying a variety of handmade works for dog lovers and festival-goers to browse.
The Dog Days of Summer is hosted by the Savannah Waterfront Association and sponsored by Banfield Pet Hospital, MetroPCS, Wet Willie’s, Dancing Dogs Yoga Savannah, Capital A Productions, Travel Host Savannah, Savannah Coca-Cola,
WJCL-TV and Alpha Media.