By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Burn victims condition still unknown
Placeholder Image

There was no official update Tuesday on the condition of a 6-year-old boy who sustained burns Friday night at a backyard fire where friends and family members had gathered outside of a home in the 900 block of Primrose Lane in Hinesville.

Two children, Caleb Hamacher, 6, and Mason Tiner, 9, were burned after Brian Tiner, 30, who is Mason’s father, tried to get the fire going by pouring gasoline on the flames, causing them to flare up. He sustained minor burns in the incident, according to Hinesville Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Kris Johanson.

"It wasn’t a bonfire," Johanson said. "It was just a little fire in the backyard and what he did was he poured a little too much gasoline … And when he lit the match, because of the fumes build-up, it flashed up real bad."

The boys were treated at the scene by Liberty EMS and units were dispatched to Snelson-Golden Middle School to stage a landing area for LifeStar.

Tiner flew with his son and Hamacher to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctor’s Hospital in Augusta.

According to Johanson, Hamacher initially was listed in critical condition.

Mason Tiner underwent surgery Friday evening. Johanson said the younger Tiner is expected to make a full recovery.

According to a hospital spokesperson, Tiner seems to be on track.

"Mason is in stable condition, but I don’t have any information I can release on Caleb," said Sondra Smith, vice president of development and marketing at Doctor’s Hospital, in a phone interview Tuesday.

Johanson said he did not have an official update on Hamacher, but heard news about the boy’s condition Monday.

"The only information that I’ve gotten — and it was yesterday — was that he is still in an induced coma right now and they are still treating him," Johanson said.

The incident still is under investigation.

"We are just waiting to see what happens with the kid but no charges have been filed at this time," Johanson said.

The fire did not pose a threat to nearby homes and was quickly contained.

Sign up for our e-newsletters