By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire displaces family of 6 in Long County
0916 Sand Hill fire
A Thursday morning fire destroyed a home on Joe Brewton Circle in Long Countys Sand Hill community. - photo by Photo by Mike Riddle

A Long County family lost nearly everything Thursday when the mobile home they were renting burned.
Ludowici/Long County Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Richard Truman said that at 10:15 a.m. Thursday, firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire in the Sand Hill area. The first units arrived at 350 Joe Brewton Circle at 10:30 a.m. to find a single-wide mobile home engulfed in flames.
The blaze was under control by 11:05 a.m. and was extinguished at 11:37, Truman said.
The fire appears to have started behind the kitchen stove and is not suspicious, according to the chief, but it still is under investigation.  
Ten Long County firefighters worked to extinguish the flames, and a Long County EMS unit responded. No one was injured.
Meggale Martinez had been renting the home in Hernandez Mobile Home Park. Truman said she has five small children, and all of their possessions were lost.
“It looks like they lost everything,” Truman said. “Fortunately, the Long County Protective Services Auxiliary and the Red Cross have begun to help them.”

Sign up for our e-newsletters