By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire displaces soldier, family
Firefighters work to extinguish a house fire Saturday night in the 600 block of South Main Street in Hinesville. - photo by Lewis Levine

A Saturday-night fire left a Fort Stewart soldier and his family homeless.


Their home, an old, single-story wooden structure in the 600 block of South Main Street, was fully engulfed in flames when Hinesville firefighters arrived shortly after 6 p.m., according to HFD fire investigator Ernest McDuffie.


Jestine Riley, who lived in the home with her husband, James, and their three children, were in Savannah celebrating their wedding anniversary when they learned of the fire. 


"We were just pulling into the parking lot of the Texas Roadhouse restaurant when I got a call from my friend that my house was on fire," Riley said.


The family turned around and headed back home. Their lab/pit-bull mix was saved by a neighbor. 


Riley said the family lost everything they owned in the fire, which McDuffie said appears to have started inside an electrical breaker panel in one of the children's rooms.  

Sign up for our e-newsletters