By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire leaves five homeless
Friday fireweb
Smoke trails away from a Turtle Lane home after firefighters from four departments extinguished flames early Friday. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine

A woman and her four children were left homeless after a fire destroyed their rural Liberty County home Friday morning, according to Liberty County Fire Chief Brian Darby.

He said the family was asleep in their Turtle Lane home when the woman was awakened by a strange noise and discovered the single story home was on fire shortly after 2 am. She woman was able to get everyone out safely.

Darby said when firefighters arrived, flames were shooting through the roof.  He said firefighters first had to shut off propane to the residence.

Fire units from Liberty County Fire Services, Walthourville Fire Department, Hinesville Fire Department and Long County Inmate Fire Team helped fight the fire. Darby said the fire was ruled electrical.

The family is being helped by the Red Cross. 

Sign up for our e-newsletters