CHATHAM COUNTY – The Georgia Department of Public Health has confirmed the flu-related death of an adult male in Glynn County.
This is the third confirmed flu-related death in the Coastal Health District. In addition to the death in Glynn County, there have been two confirmed flu-related deaths in Chatham County. There have been 50 confirmed flu-related deaths in Georgia.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyone 6 months and older get vaccinated against the flu. There are also several simple, everyday precautions people can take to avoid getting and spreading the flu, including:
• Cover your cough (try to cough into the crook of your elbow, not your hand).
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. If soap and water is not available use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Clean common surfaces like countertops and desks.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth because germs spread this way.
• Stay home and away from others when you’re sick.
Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue.