By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man gets life for death of aspiring Macon rapper
DerrickHarvey Left ScottBrannen Lawyer right
Derrick Harvey and attorney Scott Brannen at Harvey's criminal trial in January. Harvey was sentenced to life without parole and 10 years in confinement to run consecutively with his life term, by Liberty County Superior Court Jude Paul Rose Tuesday. - photo by Photo provided.

The man convicted of killing aspiring Macon-area rapper Markese “Pain City” Mahone was sentenced to life without parole Tuesday by Liberty County Superior Court Judge Paul Rose.

Derrick Harvey had been found guilty of murder and criminal attempt to commit a felony by a jury during his criminal trial held in January.

Rose sentenced Harvey to 10 years in confinement to run consecutive with his life term.

Tuesday’s sentencing closes the book on a case that began in October 2014 when police discovered Mahone, unresponsive and bleeding at the Days Inn in Flemington. During the trial, evidence showed Mahone bled out after suffering a shotgun blast to his left shoulder and chest, causing significant damage to his heart, arteries and lungs.

Co-defendants Julous Mathenia and James Stumps testified against Harvey, explaining that it was a robbery that didn’t go as planned. Mathenia said he drove Stumps and Harvey to the motel with the intent of robbing someone. He pulled into a nearby parking lot and parked his Chevy Impala.

Mathenia testified he waited in his car while Harvey and Stumps walked to the hotel. Mathenia said he heard a gunshot, turned on the car and started to pull away, when he saw Harvey and Stumps in a mirror running toward him. He stopped, let them jump in and drove off.

Stumps testimony later corroborated Mathenia’s account. Stumps added that he and Harvey went to the Days Inn intending to rob someone in room 419. Stumps said no one answered the door, so they turned and saw a man sitting on a stairwell.

Stumps said the man appeared to be talking on a cell phone, and he said Harvey told him to see if all was clear.

According to testimony, Harvey then walked over to the man and said, “What you got bro?”

Stumps testified that the man, later identified as Mahone, started running down the stairs.

Stumps said Harvey pointed the shotgun over the stair rail and pulled the trigger.

Stumps said he ran when he heard the shot.

Stumps and Mathenia entered plea agreements in November and December, respectively.

Mathenia was sentenced to five years in prison followed by five years on probation for criminal attempt to commit a felony.

Stumps was sentenced to 10 years in prison followed by 10 years on probation for voluntary manslaughter and criminal attempt to commit a felony.

Sign up for our e-newsletters