A second fire in Ludowici overnight Thursday has raised suspicions, but so far no link has been determined, according to the Long County Sheriff’s Office arson investigator.
Capt. Nicky Anderson said Thursday that the possibility is being investigated but so far, no evidence has been found to suggest that either fire was set on purpose.
Ludowici/Long County Fire Department Capt. James Ashdown said there has been no determination as to what caused a fire that leveled the Wingmen Motorcycle Club’s clubhouse early Thursday.
The alarm was sounded just after 1 a.m., about four hours after firefighters were called to a mobile home that was on fire in the 100 block of Boundary Street Southeast in Ludowici.
That fire displaced a family of seven — five children and two adults. The American Red Cross of Southeast and Coastal Georgia is providing the family with financial support for food, clothing and shelter.
Firefighters responded to the mobile home shortly after 9 p.m., according to emergency radio broadcasts.
When they arrived, flames could be seen shooting from the single-wide mobile home, which had been occupied when the fire broke out, a first responder on the scene said.
Firefighters had to temporarily stop fighting the flames when an overhead power line began to spark near the mobile home. As many as 15 firefighters were on the scene.
The home appeared to sustain heavy damage, the official said.
The Wingmen’s club, on Macon Street, was not occupied, according to the fire department’s report. It estimated that Ludowici/Long firefighters were on the scene about five minutes after the alarm was sounded, and they declared the fire under control by 2:45 a.m.
They were on the scene until 6 a.m. making sure the flames were out and that what was left was secure.
Besides Ludowici/Long firefighters, personnel and equipment were sent from Hinesville, Walthourville, Gum Branch and Long County State Prison departments.
The Ludowici Police Department, Long County Sheriff’s Office and Long County EMS also had people and equipment at the scene.
No injuries were reported from either blaze.
Anderson said he has requested help from the State Fire Marshal’s office and has been told dogs would be sent to check both sites for any traces of accelerants.