By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Suspect in bouncers death out of jail on bond

A murder suspect made bond this week while another murder suspect had his bond reduced and a convicted murderer requested a new trial.

Marcus Gunn is charged with the murder of Cream Sports Bar bouncer Eric Turner.

The incident occurred Dec. 10 when Turner and other bouncers tried to clear the parking lot around 2:30 a.m. according to Hinesville Police Det. Joshua Heath.

Gunn also faces an aggravated assault charge.

Heath reported that Gunn was in a car with two other men. One of the men pulled a gun but a bouncer knocked it away. Heath reported it was then that Gunn allegedly pulled the gun and fired three times before fleeing the parking lot.

HPD pulled Gunn’s vehicle over at Harrison Drive. A weapon was found in the car and Gunn was arrested.

The other two men were released, according to initial reports.

Gunn’s bond was initially denied. In March his bond was set at $250,000 cash. In April Liberty County Superior Court Judge Glen A. Cheney reduced it to $125,000.

Turner’s mother, Shirley Burns, filed a victim’s impact statement saying she is hurt and angry. She said her son left behind two daughters who will never know how wonderful their father was. She said the family is still struggling to understand why this happened.

“My heart was injured and it will never heal,” she wrote.

Gunn made bond Thursday.

Bond reduced
A man accused of killing teenager Clyde Austin Weeks on Feb. 15 was in court Thursday for a bond reduction hearing. Liberty County Judge Robert Russell reduced bond to $350,000 cash, $700,000 property for Philemon S. Jackson.

Jackson’s initial bond was $500,000 cash, set in March. He is charged with murder and several counts of aggravated assault in the shooting death of Weeks on Feb. 15 at Eagles Landing subdivision.

Should Jackson make bail he is to have no contact with the victim’s family or witnesses, according to the  court.

New trial
Convicted murderer Derrick Harvey is set to be in court Aug. 28, after his attorney, Martin Reginald, filed motions requesting a new trial on June 26.

Harvey was convicted by a jury in January and sentenced to life without parole in March for killing aspiring Macon-area rapper Markese “Pain City” Mahone.

Police discovered Mahone unresponsive and bleeding at the Days Inn in Flemington. During the trial, evidence showed Mahone bled to death after suffering a shotgun blast to his left shoulder and chest, causing significant damage to his heart, arteries and lungs.

Co-defendants Julous Mathenia and James Stumps testified against Harvey, explaining that it was a robbery that didn’t go as planned. Both men testified that Harvey shot Mahone.

Sign up for our e-newsletters