By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Officers shoot aggressive suspect in McIntosh County
Another high speed chase results in charges
Police cars are lined up behind a car that led state, Glynn and McIntosh county officers on a high speed chase Tuesday night. The driver was shot twice during one confrontation. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine
DARIEN - A Townsend man was wounded Tuesday night after leading police on a high-speed chase through two counties.
According to a to Georgia State Patrol Trooper Harry Middleton and a press release from the Darien Police Department, Brandon Foster, 20, lead police on the chase, which began in Glynn County. Officers there had tried to stop him because of a complaint against him.
According to the release, at around 9:45 p.m. Darien officers and McIntosh County deputies were notified of the pursuit heading toward Darien from Glynn County on Highway 17. Foster is accused of nearly running over a Glynn County officer and striking two patrol cars while fleeing from the earlier incident.
When the chase entered Darien, trooper Staff Sgt. Andrew Altman took over the lead on the chase, which at times exceeded 120 mph. According to the report, the suspect nearly hit other vehicles on the road.
Foster, who was driving a 2006 Chrysler 300, turned left onto Churchill Road in an unincorporated area of McIntosh County. He ran off the road and Altman used his patrol car to spin Foster's car to be boxed in by other law officers.
As officers tried to arrest Foster, he allegedly tried to strike Altman with his vehicle. Altman, according to Middleton, was standing outside the vehicle and had to jump aside to keep from being hit. As Foster backed up, he struck Altman's car damaging the driver's side. According to the release, Foster then drove toward the other officers and Altman and others fired at the vehicle.
Foster then allegedly drove off again, striking another Glynn County patrol car. He reportedly then stopped near 17's intersection with Highway 57 in Eulonia and was captured. When officers got him out of his car, they saw he had been hit twice by the gunfire. He was taken to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah by LifeStar.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating since officers discharged their weapons.

Sign up for our e-newsletters