If we want to improve our overall community, it really does start at home — yours and mine.
All of us can keep our yards clean and litter- and junk-free and try to make our homes neat and trimmed. Certainly, the appearance of our homes and our neighborhoods reflects on us personally, but the appearance of our homes also affects our neighbors — and their property values. The appearance of our homes and neighborhoods also reflects on our whole community. So be a good neighbor and keep things looking good.
This month, we want to recognize residents who make Liberty County a lovely place to live. We are asking you to nominate homes in your neighborhood or city that you feel demonstrate that they are HomeProud by being clean, attractive and well-maintained.
We are also asking each of you to take a look at your home and yard through the eyes of your neighbors, passersby and even visitors to Liberty County. I am really not superficial; I know there is much more to life than outward appearances. But how we take care of our home space day-in and day-out has a powerful effect on us and those around us. It may not be fair, but it is true.
Here are some points to consider as you think about nominating a home:
• Is the exterior clean and litter free? Sometimes, we forget about the junk we have lying around because we see it every day. Are the yard, porch and carports areas junk-free?
• Is the landscape well-maintained — grass cut, plantings and trees trimmed, etc.?
• Is the house exterior attractive? Are any buildings in need of repair?
• Is the right-of-way in front of the home mowed and litter-free?
• Are there attractive plantings and trees decorating the exterior?
• Is the doorway or entryway inviting?
• What sets this home apart from others?
If you know a home that deserves that kind of recognition — it could even be your home — contact us at Keep Liberty Beautiful this week by calling 880-4888 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Share the addresses and names of the homeowners and even a cellphone picture, if you can. Any home, no matter how fancy or simple, is eligible. We can be proud of homes across our community no matter how modest or how lavish as long as they are taken care of.
Let’s be LibertyProud and thank these local homeowners for leading the way.
Swida is executive director of Keep Liberty Beautiful.