It is time to nominate local businesses for the quarterly Win-dex Awards. Through Sept. 30, the Liberty County Chamber of Commerce and Keep Liberty Beautiful will accept nominations for area businesses that maintain attractive appearances.
Each quarter we select two winners — one large and one small. It doesn’t matter what size a business is or what kind of budget they have to work with — owners can keep the building exterior or storefront neat and the landscape attractive. Many types of businesses have been recognized in the past few of years — offices, retail stores, car dealers, schools and hotels.
So if you have not nominated a business yet, here are some points to consider:
• Is the exterior clean and litter-free? (Of course that would be part of the criteria.)
• Is the landscape well-maintained?
• Is the building exterior attractive and not in need of repair?
• Is the frontage property mowed and litter-free?
• Is the sidewalk and parking area clean and maintained? Is this area free of cigarette butts?
• Are their attractive plantings decorating the exterior?
• Has the business recently upgraded or renovated? This could be a simple paint job to spruce things up, a full-scale renovation or a move to a new building.
• Is the entryway inviting?
• Do the efforts of this business help to improve an area in our community that would benefit from enhancement?
• What else makes this business stand out?
• An additional point that could be considered: Does the business owner work to maintain the roadway and the right of way where the building is located by keeping it attractive and litter-free.
When the judging is close, we also consider whether the business owner, manager and employees have been active in community cleanup efforts or other litter prevention or beautification projects.
I guess it is all about attention to detail. Look for some worthy businesses and nominate them this month. They deserve it, so let’s all thank them for their efforts.
Nomination forms are available at the Keep Liberty Beautiful office in Midway or at the local Liberty County Chamber of Commerce on Oglethorpe Highway in Hinesville.
For information, you can call KLB at 880-4888 or the chamber at 368-4445. You also email email@example.com for a form. Completed forms can be mailed to P.O. Box 829, Hinesville, GA 31310, faxed to 880-4777 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming KLB activity:
• Saturday, Sept. 24: Annual St. Catherines beach cleanup. Boaters and volunteers are needed. Register by calling 880-4888 or emailing email@example.com.