As 2011 winds down, the Courier will look back at some of the more memorable sports moments of the year.
This week, the spotlight is on Bradwell and the Lady Tigers’ basketball squad. During the 2010-11 season, coach Faye Baker’s squad took the Region 3-AAAAA championship and compiled a perfect 16-0 region record. In fact, led by stars such as Mariah Maternik and Quintunya Chapman, Baker’s girls lost only one game that season to finish with an overall 29-1 mark.
Sweet 16: Key dates in BI’s perfect Region 3-AAAAA run
• Nov. 30, 2010: BI girls open region play with 53-51 win over rival Beach.
• Jan. 7, 2011: Lady Tigers return from Christmas holidays to survive scare from Windsor Forest, 41-36. The win improves BI to 12-0 overall and 6-0 in the region.
• Jan. 11: BI beats new program Islands High, 81-4. In the Feb. 4 rematch, the Lady Tigers roll to a 49-9 win. =
• Jan. 18: BI runs away with a 56-42 win over Beach to sweep the regular-season series between the longtime rivals.
• Feb. 1: Windsor Forest gives BI fits again, but the Lady Tigers manage to hold on for a 39-38 win. BI improves to 22-0 overall and 14-0 in the region.
• Feb. 8: After an easy win over Islands, the Lady Tigers knock off Savannah 58-36 to finish the region schedule a perfect 16-0.
Info from GeorgiaPrepCountry.com.