By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tide boys tie Wayne, girls suffer first loss
Blue Tide logo

The Long County Blue Tide soccer teams hosted Wayne County on Thursday, February 16 in what was one of the most anticipated games for a long time by both Blue Tide and Yellow Jacket faithful. Neither game disappointed as the Lady Tide fell 1-0 in a defensive battle, while the boys went to a 3-3 draw.

The Lady Tide entered Thursday’s game not only 4-0 on the season, but they also had not allowed a goal all season. That changed in the 19th minute of the first half.

The Jackets pushed on a breakaway and junior goalkeeper Leora Hyde made a great diving play at the ball. However, the shot bounced off her hands and rolled into the net to give Wayne County the 1-0 lead.

The 1-0 lead held for the rest of the game, despite the Jackets outshooting the Tide 16-2 in the first half. Hyde was strong in goal, recording nine saves and knocking away a penalty kick in the 27th minute.

In the second half, the Tide had a shot on the goal as Yuridia Sellars pushed into the box. Her 55th minute shot just missed to the right.

With the loss, the Lady Tide are now 4-1 on the season.

The boys entered their game against the Yellow Jackets down a few key players and hoped to avoid any more injuries against a talented Wayne County team. Not only did they do that, they played the Jackets tough from the start.

Wayne County, however, struck first on a quick advance in the 20th minute to go up 1-0. However, they did not hold the lead long as sophomore Chris Contreras scored a minute later to tie the game.

Contreras found the net for the second time of the game as he nailed the goal from the far sideline off a free kick to tie the game 2-2 in the 53rd minute.

Four minutes later, the Tide took their first and only lead of the game as senior Victor Rapalo blasted a shot from midfield to take the 3-2 lead.

The Jackets nearly tied the game in the 64th minute, but an impressive leaping save by Kamdyn Gramsch-Milliken preserved the lead.

However, the Jackets did finally tie the game with less than two minutes left on the clock off a deflection at the goal. The horn sounded as the score was tied 3-3 and the teams shook hands.


Sign up for our e-newsletters