By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tigers done for season
BI shut out by Stephenson in first playoff game
Tiger wide receiver Devin Miller was hit Friday after grabbing a pass from Wilson Brown during Bradwell’s 44-0 playoff loss to Stephenson in Clarkston. - photo by Phgoto by Patty Leon

The "one and done" curse hit the Bradwell Tigers on Friday during a first-round playoff game. The Hinesville team fell 44-0 to the still undefeated Stephenson Jaguars in Clarkston.

The Jaguars, who now boast an 11-0 overall and 7-0 Region 2-AAAAA record, will advance to round two and face Colquitt County.

The Tigers received the ball first, but after a few quick runs, quarterback Wilson Brown was sacked for a loss and a fourth down. Punter David Miller’s kick fell short and the Jaguars had a short field to work with.

Starting on the Tigers’ 40-yard line, the Jaguars ran the ball, taking it in for a 19-yard touchdown in two plays.

The Tigers punted on their second possession and the Jaguars started on their own 30-yard line. Stephenson drew four penalties, but, facing fourth and 15, they pounded the ball into the end zone to go up 14-0 at the start of the second quarter.

Bradwell’s offense spent most of the first quarter on the bench, taking the field only to cough up the ball to the Jaguars inside the Tigers’ 28. That set up a field goal and the Jaguars went up 17-0.

The Jaguars were plagued with penalties all night, which may have cost them touchdowns, but they made up for it in speed. Tiger coach Jim Walsh had said speed would be a factor. That was an understatement.

Just before the half, the Tigers punted again. Miller hit one for 47 yards. The Jaguars had a 25-yard return, but it was called back due to a penalty and, for the first time in the game, they started in their own red zone at the 18-yard line.

The Jaguars picked away at the Tiger’s defense and although they faced a fourth and three, Stephenson’s running back found the seam and broke open for a 38-yard, touchdown run.

The Tiger offense started a drive, but running back Sheldon Barnes was hit for a loss, forcing another punt. Miller’s kick was long but the Jaguars nearly returned it for a touchdown. Miller put his shoulder down and knocked the runner out of bounds.

The Jaguars still capitalized by kicking a field goal to close the first half up 27-0.

The third quarter opened with the Jaguars returning the kickoff for a touchdown using only five seconds off the clock.

The Tigers’ offense switched gears and opened the passing game. Brown hit Devin Miller and Robert Augustin to get a first down, but Brown had to throw away the ball on his next attempt. Brown hit Devin Miller again but he was hit hard and the Tigers had to punt.

The Jaguars would knock in another field goal to close the third and score another touchdown in the fourth to win 44-0, shutting out the Tigers.

Sign up for our e-newsletters