Homes just don’t have that festive holiday feel unless they’re decked out in ribbons, greenery and sparkles, according to Michael Smiley, owner of Joy Marie’s & The Frame Gallery.
“Sometimes just the simplest things can set a home off,” Smiley said. The owner, who often visits homes and businesses to help with the decorating process, recently talked about this season’s best-selling decorations:
1. Ornaments: “We’ve got everything from high heels to fishing lures,” Smiley said.
The ornaments adorn faux snow-covered trees and hang on various displays throughout the store and are customer favorites because the baubles are so reasonably priced, Smiley said. “A lot of people give ornaments for Christmas.”
2. Garlands: “Greenery is the No. 1 way to spruce up your house,” Smiley said. As one of the simplest decorations, greenery can be draped along mantles and door frames to add festive holiday cheer to living rooms and hallways.
3. Live floral arrangements: People can customize their own or choose from pre-made displays. Smiley said his store receives requests for a lot of holiday baskets that include fruit and other accessories.
4. Small accessories: Smiley said items in his “gift line” include ornaments, candle holders and other knickknacks that cost between $10-$20.
5. Wreaths: “We try to carry a wide variety,” Smiley said. The owner also encourages people to use supplies they have around the house — both artificial and real. “Just go out and get clippings from magnolia trees,” he said.
Smiley said his favorite part of the store is the windows overlooking Main Street. “It just wouldn’t be downtown without these windows lit up. It just screams Christmas,” he said.