Nothing is prettier than communities all dressed up for the holidays, so this time of year is so lovely to me.
However, no matter how pretty the decorations are, if our community also is decorated with litter and dilapidated structures, it really destroys that holiday beauty.
Nominations still are open for the Win-dex Awards, sponsored each quarter by Keep Liberty Beautiful and the Liberty County Chamber of Commerce. The awards recognize two attractive Liberty County businesses each quarter.
Before you get too busy, I hope you will take a few minutes and give a special “gift” of a nomination to a local business. The awards are our way of recognizing local businesses that make an effort to be attractive and litter-free.
Nominating a local business can be your way of saying “thank you” for its efforts and “merry Christmas” at the same time. These attractive businesses keep on giving to us by increasing productivity, improving the economy and attracting other businesses to our community. They also are just pretty to see and enjoyable for our shopping experiences.
Help us in giving these local businesses the recognition each quarter that they deserve. Each quarter we select two winners, large and small. Every business can keep their exterior or storefront neat and their landscape attractive — no matter what the size or budget of the company. A variety of types of businesses have been recognized in the last couple of years: offices, retail stores, auto services, car dealerships, schools, churches and hotels. Any business is eligible.
To make a nomination, consider the following criteria:
• Is the exterior clean and litter free?
• Is the landscape well maintained?
• Is the building exterior attractive and not in need of repair?
• Is the frontage property mowed and litter free? Or is the sidewalk and parking area clean and maintained? Is this area free of cigarette butts?
• Are their attractive plantings decorating the exterior?
• Have they recently upgraded or renovated? This could be a simple paint job to spruce things up or a full scale renovation or new building.
• Is the entryway inviting?
• Do the efforts of this business help to improve an area in our community that would benefit from enhancement?
• Is the business a good citizen that works to maintain the roadway and the right-of-way where the business is located by keeping it attractive and litter free?
• What other reasons make this business a standout?
It is all about attention to detail. Look for some worthy businesses and nominate them this month. And, yes, if the Christmas decorations are special, we also will consider that this month. Nominations will be accepted through Dec. 31.
Nomination forms are available at Keep Liberty Beautiful or at the chamber office on Oglethorpe Highway. Call KLB at 880-4888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a form. Forms can be mailed to P.O. Box 829, Hinesville, GA 31310. Remember that your reason for nominating a business is a crucial part of the judging of the awards, so make sure you explain why a business is deserving of this recognition.
Upcoming Keep Liberty Beautiful events
Dec. 26- Jan. 12 — Bring One for the Chipper. Plan now to recycle your cut Christmas tree. Drop-off sites for decoration-free Christmas trees are at all county solid-waste convenience centers and recycling centers. For information, call 880-4888 or email email@example.com.