Long/Ludowici Volunteer Fire and Rescue along with the Hinesville Fire Department spent a good part of Wednesday afternoon (Oct. 2) battling a brush fire on Woolard Way off of Elim Church Road according to Fire Chief Chris Moss.
Moss said when firefighters arrived they encountered heavy smoke and flames and four homes were in danger of burning.
In addition to Hinesville’s Fire Station 22, Georgia Forestry and the Long County Sheriff’s Office was also on scene to assist.
Moss said while firefighters were battling the Woolard Way fire another fire sprang up in the Sand Hill community as well as a structure fire which took place in Pecan Park which also taxed firefighters. The structure fire was thought to be caused by a cooking fire which displaced two adults and one child. Long/Ludowici Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded as did Excelsior Ambulance and Ludowici Police.
Moss is appealing to the public to refrain from burning yard waste during the drought and to patiently wait for adequate rainfall in the area. According to Moss, one firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion at the Woolard Way fire.