Where did the time go, because summer is here and children are out of school already! It’s time for families to start traveling and doing outdoor activities. Let the summer fun began, and while you are out and about, consider these tips to help your family ‘act green’ during all the summer fun!
1. Keep a litter bag (or if your family generates a lot of trash, use a small garbage bag) in your car whether you are traveling locally or on the road.
2. If you really want to go the distance and get a green star, keep a small bag to collect any recyclables.
3. Please, do not toss your trash out the car window and please make sure your children do not either. Although, I find that children are now often the ones reminding their parents to not litter…
4. Also, as you are driving, walking, boating, make sure that you secure your trash and other items so they don’t get blown out of your vehicle and become litter on our roads.
5. On the road, reduce the number of plastic water bottles by making sure each family member has a reusable drink container and uses it. The U.S. generated almost 7 million tons of plastics as non-durable goods, such as plates and cups, in 2018. Only 9% of the 14 million tons of total plastic waste was recycled. The same thing goes for snacks. You can buy snacks in bulk and pack for trips and activities instead of buying individual snack items. You will reduce the amount of trash generated and probably save a lot of money too.
6. When you are finished with your drinks in aluminum cans and plastic bottles, remember that your truck is NOT a trash can, so when you toss your empty cans and drink cartons in the back, they end up on the road.
7. When entertaining at home, reduce the amount of garbage by just thinking ahead. When you are grilling at home or camping in the wilderness, you really do not have to use paper plates. Real plates work fine, and they are easy to wash up. Which means you can reuse them.
8. Eat more vegetables. Consider eating more fresh vegetables and salads during the summer when all these good veggies are getting ripe.
9. At ball games, pool areas, or outdoor activities, make sure everyone in your family knows that if you generate trash, it goes in a trash can. The waste you generate should never be dump on the ground or in the stadium or arena.
10. If you are traveling, consider taking a road trip on public transportation, like a train. Every child needs to ride on a train at some point and just think how many fewer cars would be on the road and how much gas might be saved. A train ride is like an adventure in motion.
11. If you are traveling, book an environmentally friendly hotel. You can also save water and fuel by reusing your towels and bed sheets more than once.
With just a little planning, your summer activities can be filled with fun and be kind to the environment, too. Have a great summer! If you would like to find out about volunteering with keep Liberty Beautiful or find out more ways to ‘live green,’ simply contact us at Keep Liberty Beautiful at (912) 880-4888 or check out our website: www.keeplibertybeautiful.org. You can also email us at email@example.com.