By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
BOE’s public participation policy comes under review
Liberty County School System

At their Sept. 27 workshop, Liberty County school board members were asked to review a revised public participation policy and a proposed new rule of conduct policy prior to it being placed as an action item at a future meeting. 

Board Chair Lily Baker asked for the review of the documents as soon as possible and to send any recommendations or concerns to system Superintendent Dr. Franklin Perry so he has time to make any necessary changes.

The BOE first reviewed the revised policy and newly proposed rules of conduct during its Sept. 13 meeting, when Deputy Superintendent Dr. Zheadric Barbra presented it to the board. Barbra said many school boards, including the LCSS, already have established policies or practices of allowing the public to speak but the right was not mandated by law until July 1, 2021 when an addition to state code 20-2-58 became effective.

Barbra said the Georgia School Board Association required by Oct. 1 this year, and by Aug. 1 each year thereafter, each local board to adopt rules of conduct for public meetings and publish those rules in a prominent manner on its public website. Those rules will include provisions for the removal of members of the public for actual disruption of a public school board meeting.

Baker’s request came after several local education advocates and stakeholders expressed concerns that the BOE is trying to limit their ability to speak. One education advocate has stated openly one proposed rule of conduct is a direct violation of the First Amendment and is planning a lawsuit against the LCSS if the policy goes into effect as written.

Gerry Wayne Monroe, of Houston, Texas said a provision written into the rules that prohibits anyone living outside the district from speaking during public participation violate his First Amendment right to speak in a limited public forum. He said it also violates Georgia Senate Bill 588 as recently passed.

“There is nothing in this bill (SB 588) that says that,” Monroe said about a member of the public having to be a resident or have a child in the school district in order to speak at a meeting. He pointed to the final sentence of SB 588 that states, “All laws and parts of laws that are in conflict with this bill are repealed.”

“That means if it wasn’t in the bill, you can’t add it to the bill,” Monroe said. “You can’t say you are using this bill to make up a rule that will violate the Constitution of the United States.”

Monroe said he is ready to come to Hinesville, with bail money, and be arrested as he asserts his right to speak. Monroe successfully sued a school district in Houston for a similar violation and was awarded $300,000 in 2019. Monroe said he travels all across the country, meeting with school districts to right the wrongs, especially when it comes to special needs students. He said he specializes in finding federal violations being committed by school districts and fighting those battles in court.

In January of this year, Monroe came to Hinesville and spoke to the board addressing the three people who were escorted out of a BOE meeting Dec. 14, 2021. He said someone sent him a video showing Willie Brown Jr., Kisya Burnett and Angela Siets being escorted out by Hinesville police. Since then, he’s been mentoring Burnett, who speaks for the educators at nearly every meeting.

During his visit in January, Monroe met with Dr. Perry to discuss several matters and praised the district for its school and advanced technology. The revision the board is poised to approve to its current policies is primarily introducing new language allowing the public to address the board as long as it follows the newly proposed rules of conduct.

While some of the rules being proposed are what the public already adheres to in terms of time limits, being respectful, stating their names, not identifying school employees or staff by name and remaining civil. But other proposed rules of conduct have raised a few eyebrows.

Parents would be prohibited from bringing signs, flags and banners into the board meeting room. One rule, the main one Monroe and others have questioned, states that only residents of the school district, representatives of businesses or organizations located in the district, parents or guardians of students attending T:5.125' the schools of the district, or school system employees may address the board during public participation. Another proposed rule prohibits loud and boisterous conduct or comments.

But Monroe said the board has failed to define what they consider loud and failed to define what constitutes disruptive behavior. He questioned whether the board reviewed their proposed rules of conduct with the district’s attorney.

Baker said the school board’s attorney reviews policies prior to board approval She said she was made aware of Monroe’s intention a day after their Sept. 13 meeting.

LCSS BCBI
Georgia Senate Bill SB588
Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries