By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
City Clerk reinstated
Malinda McIver

During a Special Called Meting held July 22, at Riceboro City Hall, Malinda McIver was reinstated as the City’s clerk after being abruptly terminated by Mayor, Joseph Harris, on or around July 9.

The mayor was not at the meeting but attended the Executive Session via cell phone according to McIver’s attorney Elizabeth Beasley of Balbo and Gregg Law Firm.

After the Executive Session, the meeting was opened to public forum where they announced the issue had been resolved. Councilmembers and those present embraced McIver who has been the City Clerk for 40 years, serving under four different administrations.

“I’m just glad to be back,” she said.

Beasley said there was never a clear picture of why the mayor terminated McIver in the first place.  She said she was glad to hear the current Councilmembers would be supporting McIver going forward, but noted her client isn’t out of the woods as long as Harris is the mayor.

“Something has to change because under the mayor’s leadership right now that puts her in danger of having her reputation tarnished,” Beasley said. “Hopefully by being reinstated she can have her job and show that she is very capable and qualified to do this job.”

Beasley said the Mayor Harris had accused McIver of misconduct.

“But there were no clear examples given,” Beasley said. “There were accusations of insubordination but I didn’t hear examples of insubordination. I still don’t really know the detailed reasons why (she was fired). I don’t think they were justified reasons; I think they were opinions of the mayor, frankly.”

Beasley said Mayor Harris didn’t have the unilateral authority to fire McIver without cause or notice, based on her interpretation of the City charter.

“Especially without any notice, without any cause, until after the fact,” she said.

“Some of the reasons that he gave implicate a violation of the Georgia Whistleblowers Act,” Beasley said. According to a letter from Beasley to Riceboro City attorney John Pirkle, the firing may have been a direct retaliation against McIver for filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) about her hostile working environment.

McIver said had she not been reinstated she could have lost her pension and would have lost her insurance. She recalled being called to the council room by the mayor on a Friday afternoon around 4:25 p.m. She said the mayor quickly fired her and immediately changed the locks on the doors.

Beasley said Riceboro has a great City Council but said the mayor is a liability.

“I think there are going to be problems until he is out of office,” Beasley said. “That’s just my view of this entire situation. It just seems that he is a liability to this City and it could end up costing them dearly.”

There’s been trouble brewing in Riceboro recently which prompted the former Mayor, John McIver and former Councilmembers to hold a town hall meeting July 15, at the Riceboro Youth Center. The people addressed the alleged abuse of power by the mayor to include McIver’s abrupt firing, using the city vehicle for personal use, and trying to run the city without support of the council.

Former Councilman Modibo Kadalie, who grew up in the city, said the meeting was to air out grievances and also clarify the roles of the mayor and Council.

“The roles are not clarified and the mayor’s authority is not strictly understood by all parties concerned,” he said. “The City Council doesn’t understand its power in the decisions being made.”

During the town hall meeting Kadalie said the charter says the Council runs the City and that the mayor could do nothing else but to respond to the will of the City Council. He said the mayor may only vote to break a tie, but the Council must control the City.

Current Councilman John Young said the Mayor and Council aren’t currently working together. Young said the Council members must stick together.

“We stick together as Council and everything Joe wants passed, we turn it down,” Young said drawing boos and cheers from the crowd. “He can’t do nothing unless we agree on it…he is a tie-breaker yet he is telling us what to do. We got to stand together and stop this.”

Councilwoman Pearlie Axson said if they voted everything down nothing will get done. “We may have to change some of the rules and Joe will have to follow since we are the leaders,” she said.

Mayor Harris and Councilman David Miller were unable to attend the town hall meeting due to a scheduling conflict. Axson reported the two men were on vacation.

The Courier sent an email to Mayor Harris last week but has received no response. We placed a call to the City attorney Tuesday morning. A reply was not received by press time but will be posted online once it is received.

Lewis Levine contributed to this report.

VIDEO: Riceboro Clerk reinstated

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Letter to John Pirkle
Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries