By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Councilwoman requests complaint drop box
Hinesville sign

A technical glitch meant that the July 15, City of Hinesville Council meeting didn’t get livestreamed until the majority of the meeting was over and the Councilmembers were presenting their individual reports.

During Councilwoman Diana Reid’s report, she asked City Manager Kenneth Howard about the status of a request she has previously mentioned regarding a method for City employees to express themselves. Reid has been concerned about the heavy turnover of employees recently. 

“I want to hear what your staff has to say,” she said. “And I don’t want them to feel like they would be retaliated against. “A way for it (complaints or views from employees) to come in and to come out to you and our City attorney. This is something I’m passionate about.” 

Howard agreed saying, “We have been working on developing a process which employees would have an opportunity to have some input into the decision-making process,” he said. “One of the things we have done is we solicited some assistance from the Carl Vinson Institute. I met with Mr. Eric Robinson and this week we presented an outline to our staff. The department heads were given an update on the approach. And the approach is simple and will allow us to address both internal and external customers. Meaning we have a responsibility to provide services to both…but most importantly it will help us initiate and cooperate a process by which an employee can do just as you say, that is to have some input.”

Howard said a drop-box, as Reid suggested, would be a component of that process. Howard said the training is one facet of the process to ensure departmental consistency on how they would respond to information they receive from employees.

Reid asked why they needed Carl Vinson Institute.

Howard said they have the expertise to facilitate what the City is trying to accomplish. Howard said they also solicited input from other cities who have said Hinesville could become the model approach that could be used across the state.

“We are taking a methodical approach to something that could be beneficial to the City of Hinesville and the employees as well,” Howard said.

“Mr. Howard with all due disrespect that sounds good, but that is not what I had in mind,” Reid said. “I wanted something in-house, something simple. I don’t need nobody to train me to write down how I feel.”

Reid opposes paying Carl Vinson and just wanted something as simple as a complaint box.

“You spending money for what?” she asked. “To train people to write down how they feel? No that’s not what I had in mind. I just wanted something simple to help curtail some of the exit interviews. That is where this all started from”

Reid asked City attorney Linnie Darden if an elected official owned property that was going to be developed or re-zoned, would they need to disclose that to the public. After a little back and forth Darden said he would recommend that an elected official disclose the information and recuse themselves from any votes on the matter. He later said he would advise any appointed officials to also disclose the information.

At which point Howard turned to Reid and asked if she any questions for him.

“Is there an answer you want to give me?” Reid replied.

Reid and Howard have clashed in previous meetings. Reid told the Courier she was the only councilperson that voted against City Manager’s recent pay raise. 

Reid also asked Donita Gaulden, Community Development Director how the applications for America Rescue Plan funds are being handled. Reid said people are complaining about no one answering the phones and unknown statuses of their applications. Gaulden said they are turning applications around fairly quick and applicants are notified by phone or email. Councilman Karl Riles said he would like the City to offer paper applications for the people who might not be computer savvy. He also requested the City provide documentation on the applicants at the next council meeting.

Reid concluded her report saying she would get with City officials later about a mini-town hall meeting.

Councilman Keith Jenkins was unable to attend the meeting however, the Mayor and Council unanimously approved the followings items as outlined in their minutes presented to the Courier: 

They approved the 2021 Georgia Municipal Association Safety and Liability Management Grant Application as presented by Gaulden. The funds will allow the Hinesville Police Department to devices, which will improve the Department’s ability to capture video and audio data. HPD is requesting $10,000.

The HFD requested $10,000 to purchase two Zero Downtime Fans that will evacuate smoke and harmful gases from buildings or structures that firefighters may enter.  

Assistant City Manager Ryan Arnold’s request to declare six City buses that are more than 10 years old, as surplus was approved. 

A request was approved for the Hinesville Area Arts Council for an alcohol license to serve beer during the 17th Annual Blues, Brews, and BBQ event.

They also approved the request for an alcohol license to serve beer during the Annual Chamber of Commerce Golf Tournament and another request from the Chamber for an alcohol license to serve beer and wine during the Low Country Boil event.





Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries