By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Drainage occupies Midway Council
Midway welcome sign
Drainage and similar problems dominated a called meeting of the Midway City Council, but some progress was reported.
A longstanding drainage problem at 177 Medway Dr. has apparently been solved, at least for a while. Abe Nadji, an engineer with the Liberty Consolidated Planning Commission, told the council that the contractor had reworked a drainage swale and that water now flowed through the area. He will continue to monitor the project.
Councilwoman Melice Gerace said, “It will be up to us to maintain this now,” so the problem will not recur.
Nadji said keeping the grass cut would be necessary. Maintenance chief Terrell Chipp said wet weather made it impossible for the grass cutting crew to access many areas, especially low, wet places. Flooding caused by beaver dams is also causing trouble, he said.
Mayor Levern Clancy Jr. introduced another drainage topic saying, “It’s very costly, but it has to be done.”
He was referring to rental of a “spider,” equipment with an articulated arm that can cut grass and brush in difficult to reach areas.
Clancy said an estimated cost of renting a spider to mow areas in Midway was more than $36,000. Councilwoman Dr. Clemontine Washington said in the past, Midway had been able to rent a spider from the Hinesville public works contractor, but that rental was no longer available. She said the spider’s owner had stopped renting it out because of liability issues.
Goat rental, an option used by Savannah, was also mentioned, but Washington said, “What we need is more than the goats can do.”
Officials were concerned about the cost of the grass cutting and clearing needed; no money in the current budget is specified for that. Brenda Norton, an employee of Norton Consulting with which Midway has a contract for financial administration, said the funds could be found.
Besides the money in Midway’s discretionary fund, Norton said the city’s water fund owes the general fund money that could be used for spider rental.
Midway decided to hold onto its annual allocation of the Department of Transportation Local Maintenance and Improvement Grant and use it next year when another LMIG tranche will be available. Midway plans to use the state dollars on Edgewater Drive.
Edgewater gets heavy traffic with buses and other vehicles because it runs between Highway 84 and Midway Middle and Liberty Elementary schools, as well as residential areas. It is heavily used and needs extensive patching or resurfacing.
“We can patch it up for another year,” Washington said.
Officials said the city had purchased a “cold patch” product used for minor pavement repair.
Midway is still looking for a city attorney and plans to fill a vacant slot for a police officer and a new position, executive assistant.
The council agreed with a suggestion from Clancy to reopen the issue of participating in the county fire protection plan and decided to seek a meeting with County Administrator Joey Brown to discuss the plan. Washington asked, “Is that meeting going to be any time soon?”
After a closed-door session the council voted to suspend a member of the city public works crew for 10 days without pay. Insubordination and violation were cited as the reasons for the suspension.
The next meeting of the council will be Monday at 6 p.m. in the police department building.

Parker can be contacted by email at joeparkerjr@hotmail.com.


Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries