By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Families of fallen troops remember loved ones
MILwreathsforwarriors2FILE
A wreath lays at the bottom of Sgt. Steve McCoy's tree. - photo by Frenchi Jones

The sun glistened and the winter breeze blew as several hundred family and friends of the 3rd Infantry Division’s fallen soldiers filed into the bleachers Saturday at Fort Stewart’s Cottrell Field.

Among those gathered to pay respects to the fallen was the family of 23-year-old Steve McCoy, a sergeant from Moultrie who lost his life last June while serving in Iraq.

Members of the non-profit organization Wreaths for Warriors Walk started the event to honor deceased soldiers during the holidays. It gives families of the fallen an opportunity to place a wreath at the foot of a tree dedicated to their loved one.

Throughout the year, the group’s members collect donations to purchase wreaths for each Eastern Red Bud planted in the memory of a soldier.

On Saturday, the organization provided 417 wreaths, one for each tree on the walk.

During the program, the division’s commanding officer, Maj. Gen. Tony Cucolo, encouraged the audience to remember those who had lost their lives by living “a life worthy of their sacrifice.”

“The holiday season is about giving more than you received,” he said. “I look at the names of our fallen, and when I hear the names, all I can think of is: This is America. And once again, she has raised and brought forth a corps of diverse men and women who would defend her and our freedom. There is, and should be, joy and timeless gratitude to these young men and women memorialized on this walk.”

 After Cucolo spoke, the colors were presented and a benediction was read. One by one, family members were invited to take a wreath. 

“Please take one wreath and place it at the bed of your loved one’s tree,” the program announcer said.

For those soldiers whose families could not make it to the ceremony, the announcer asked that a volunteer come and place a wreath for them.

By the time McCoy’s family arrived at his tree, someone had already placed a wreath. The gesture made a powerful impression on his grandmother.

“When we got here, we asked who would have placed the wreath for us if we had not been able to come, and they said, ‘Someone would have done it’,” said Ann McCoy, of Warrenton.

“It just makes us feel so good to know that he’s not forgotten. Steve was such a good man, and he would have done anything for anybody.”

Wreaths for Warriors Walk member Bruce Muncher said he wants family members of the deceased to know how much they are respected by the community. That gives his organization its purpose.

“That’s what it is all about,” he said. “Not only have their loved ones sacrificed, but they have also sacrificed. They have sacrificed receiving that hug or that kiss from their loved one.

“It’s our way of giving back to them – those who have sacrificed so much.”

    
Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries