By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Former DA remembered for his talents in and out of courtroom
Durden, Tom
Tom Durden

The former longtime district attorney for Liberty and Long counties has passed away.

Tom Durden, who served as district attorney for the Atlantic Judicial Circuit, died Thursday.

Durden had been the circuit’s DA since 1998 and did not seek re-election to the post last year. He was sworn in as an assistant district attorney under Dupont Cheney in 1984 and was promoted to chief assistant later that year. The circuit covers six counties - Liberty, Long, Bryan, Evans, McIntosh and Tattnall.

“Tom had such a great reputation as a trial attorney, be it the Tomato Patch Murders or other cases,” said current Atlantic Judicial Circuit District Attorney Billy Joe Nelson. “He enjoyed being in a courtroom and trying cases.”

“He was an outgoing person,” said Melinda Anderson, who just retired as Liberty County’s chief magistrate. “He was caring. He was a good DA.”

When Durden opted not to run again, Nelson, who had been an assistant district attorney under Durden, ran for the office. As an ADA, it’s easy to get focused on just the caseload in front of you, Nelson acknowledged.

“I never fully appreciated how difficult a job Tom had until I stepped into that role,” he said. “The sheer number of law enforcement agencies, county commissions, city councils involved in all six counties is an extremely difficult job.

“I have a lot more respect for what he did on a daily basis,” Nelson continued. “He made it look effortless.”

Durden prosecuted a number of high-profile cases as Atlantic Judicial Circuit DA, from the 1998 Long County case that became known as the “Tomato Patch Murder,” for the suspects burying

the victim and then planting tomatoes over the dirt, and the 2011 case involving the FEAR militia.

It was Durden who was given the Ahmaud Arbery case, and he took it to a Glynn County grand jury for indictment. Eventually, Durden handed the case over to the Cobb County DA, and three men were convicted in a racially-motivated slaying of Arbery.

“He wanted to make sure the right thing was done and the right outcome was achieved,” Nelson said. “By taking that to a grand jury, the people of Glynn County also had a chance to determine the outcome.”

Nelson, whom Durden hired in 2011 and rehired a few years later after Nelson went into private practice, said he picked the veteran prosecutor’s brain on trying cases.

Durden was an assistant district attorney for 14 years before serving as the circuit DA for 24 years.

“I think it can’t be overstated the number of lives he impacted as a prosecutor in the Atlantic Judicial Circuit,” Nelson said.

Durden followed Cheney, a legal and courtroom legend in his own right, and that office has been handed down to Nelson.

“I would be lying if I didn’t say it put some pressure on me,” Nelson said. “Every four years you get a referendum on the job you’re doing. It gives you an idea of the job they did. You want to uphold the legacy they set.”

Beyond the practice of law, Durden also was known to be asked to sing at weddings and funerals.

“Tom had a beautiful voice,” Anderson said. “He could sing a cappella.”

Nelson and Superior Court Judge Paul Rose were talking about Durden after his passing and Rose brought up Durden’s artistic talents.

“He said, ‘if you never got to hear Tom sing, you missed out,’” Nelson recalled Judge Rose telling him.

Durden also played piano and guitar, Nelson added, and he was also a good athlete, having been starting quarterback on his high school team.

“He had a lot of talents people didn’t know about,” Nelson said.

The current Atlantic Judicial Circuit DA will remember his predecessor for many things, but his humanity will be tops among them.

“One of the most important things to remember about Tom is not only was he a great prosecutor and a great trial attorney, he was a good person to a lot of different people,” Nelson said. “A testament to the person he was is he would do everything to help people if he could. That’s the thing I will remember most.”

Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries