By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hinesville serves as testing site for COVID antibody
Sheila Bonner shows off the small IV used for the monoclonal antibody infusion as part of a clinical trial being conducted in Hinesville.
Sheila Bonner shows off the small IV used for the monoclonal antibody infusion as part of a clinical trial being conducted in Hinesville. Photo by Pat Donahue.

As COVID-19 continues to linger, even with the end of the global pandemic, the fight against it continues too — and the front lines are in Hinesville.

Above Dr. Glenn Carter’s office, a clinical study by Invivyd is underway. The CANOPY study is testing a new set of monoclonal antibodies to use in thwarting COVID-19.

The trial, under the direction of Sheila Bonner of Coastal Heritage Clinical Research, started a couple of weeks ago with approximately 20 people, and Bonner said they hope to get 150 or more.

“They are hoping this particular product will cover all the new COVID variants,” Bonner said. “Monoclonal antibodies are especially interesting because they are different from the vaccines, and so many people tend to be scared of the vaccines.”

A vaccine, Bonner said, is like injecting a picture of the “bug” into your body, “so that if your body comes in contact with that ‘bug,’ your body will recognize and build an army to fight that invader. With the monoclonal antibody, it is the army. It is a readymade army instead of building an army.”

The monoclonal antibodies are injected through a tiny IV. Those who sign up for the clinical trial cannot have had a COVID-19 vaccine within 28 days of their first injection. They also cannot have a flu vaccine within 14 days.

After receiving the dose of monoclonal antibodies, participants must stay at the site for an hour — but as Bonner noted, there are snacks, drinks and massage chairs.

“We have to go through the inclusion and exclusion criteria to make sure they are appropriate for the trial,” she said. “Most people do qualify.”

Some of the trial participants have been referred by Dr. Carter and Hinesville is one of 16 sites conducting the trials. The trials are being limited to 350 participants total.

“We were the first site in the world to randomize and enroll,” Bonner declared.

For the participants, there is a second infusion three months after the initial dose. Each infusion lasts 30 minutes. There is a checkup after six months, a phone call at nine months and another visit at 12 months.

“The whole study lasts about a year,” Bonner said. “We follow up with them every week that they should check in with us if they have symptoms of COVID.”

What one of the elements separating monoclonal antibodies from the COVID-19 vaccines is the lack of side effects. Monoclonal antibodies have been shown to work for treatment and prevention.

Bonner has had the COVID-19 vaccine and stipulates she is not anti- vax — “I would do it again in a heartbeat,” she said — but she did have side effects, one of which was every Coca-Cola tasted flat.

“For me, the side effects of the vaccine were pretty harsh,” she said. “It put me down. I work in clinical trials. I think we need vaccines.”

“We hope we can continue to spread the word about it,” Bonner said of the trials. “We could not be more thrilled it has started.”

Bonner added the sponsor company has been great to work with and that so far, the five-person team has not seen any side effects.

“We’re hopeful for the drug and hope we can help people and bring a better treatment to the world,” she said.

There have been some long days, up to 14 hours, in the early stages of the trial — but that’s OK with Bonner.

“It is non-stop,” she said. “Research is a lot of work, but it is so worth it in the end.”

Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries