By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Liberty school board members express frustrations at GSBA retreat
Logo

Liberty County School System Superintendent Dr. Franklin Perry and school board members, Lily Baker, Verdell Jones, Dr. Yvette Keel, Marcia Anderson and Carol Guyett had frank discussions about the board during a retreat Tuesday morning. 

The board met with Georgia School Board Association Director of Field Services Zenda Bowie, who guided the board through the various “domain topics” that school board members are bound by law to follow. 

It was evident some board members thought not everyone on the board followed the rules, and questioned how to address members who break them.  

Bowie explained that the actions of one board member reflected on the entire board.

“What one board members does the rest are accountable for,” Bowie said. 

Board members vented their concerns. 

Anderson wanted to know how the board should handle clear violations of ethics by a board member who speaks freely on board matters every week on their social media program. Keel mentioned the board has been in violation of the open meetings act several times for addressing matters during executive session that should have been done in public session or did not pertain to the subject listed on the agenda.

Baker said the public’s perception of the board is that the members are constantly bickering. Jones agreed, asking what they could do to showcase accomplishments they’ve made in student achievement.

“Our problems are internal,” Jones said. “But if you look at our track record as a board we have done many positive things.”

Bowie said she was aware the board had issues. 

“You are not on the board to represent your neighborhood or constituents,” she said. “Your focus needs to be on the students.”

Bowie said it was up to each board member to address when topics are straying off the agenda, especially in executive session, by calling for a point of order. Failing to do so is a liability risk for the board, she said.

Baker said the board needs to start working as a team.

“Can we let go of what has happened in the past?” she asked of board members. “Can we please move forward from here on out as a team.”

The board has been embroiled in controversy since the firing of former LCSS chief financial officer Roger Reese last year. It continued as the board released former Superintendent Dr. Valya Lee. Scott has said board members have taken action against him for being in support of Reese and, more recently, for requesting a forensic audit. Members of the board have said Scott has violated code of ethics policies and filed reports that are still being investigated by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.

Board members’ behavior prompted action by AdvancED, the school system’s accrediting agency. 

After the retreat, the Courier obtained a copy of a letter Keel distributed to her constituents in District 6. In it, she details what she described as unethical, illegal and immoral behavior by board members “To meet their hidden agendas and protect their selected staff,” she wrote.

Keel said she was the whistle blower who filed complaints about the board’s behavior to AdvancED and also filed letters with the state attorney general’s office.

She said she has also filed letters with the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and twice met with city leaders. She added she filed simple assault charges against a board member, calling it “adult bullying and harassment.”

Keel said the school sytem’s accreditation is in jeopardy.

“However, the law is written that if one member of the board is suspended, all sitting board members are suspended regardless of guilt,” she wrote. “If this occurs, I will appeal to the governor to be reinstated because I am the whistle blower. I‘ve given proof of the acts of poor stewardship of taxpayers’ dollars by board members in this investigation and legal violation of the code of ethics.” 


Dr. Keel Letter page 1
Dr. Keel letter page 2
Dr. Keel letter page 3
Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries