Liberty County officials and residents recalled memories of an "entrepreneur extraordinaire" Saturday morning during the dedication of Carl Dykes Highway.
The ceremony celebrated the renaming of a portion of Highway 119 for Carl Dykes, a former Hinesville mayor, state senator and World War II veteran. It took place at West Gen. Screven Way and South Main Street. The portion dedicated in Dykes’ honor runs the length of Gen. Screven Way, from Oglethorpe Highway to Fort Stewart’s main gate.
Liberty County Clerk of Superior Court Barry Wilkes recalled Mr. Dykes as an "extraordinary entrepreneur" who was instrumental in many efforts that promoted the county’s economic development, including the change in the designation of Camp Stewart to Fort Stewart.
According to House Resolution 1608, sponsored by state Rep. Al Williams, D-Midway, and Rep. Ron Stephens, R-Savannah, Dykes built the first grocery store in Hinesville in 1948 and was co-owner of D&D Supermarket on Jekyll Island.
Williams, serving as master of ceremonies, introduced the Rev. Bishop Raymond Nipper, who gave the invocation and benediction; Wilkes; Ann Purcell, the 1st Congressional District representative on the Georgia State Transportation Board; Richard Braun Sr., a longtime friend of Dykes; and Hinesville Mayor Pro-Tem Kenneth Shaw.
They shared warm memories of Dykes and noted his accomplishments that benefited Liberty County.
A crowd of about 35 people gathered for the dedication, including many members of Dykes’ family. Otto Dykes, his brother, unveiled the highway sign bearing Carl Dykes’ name, while family members, including Joey Dykes Sr.; Joey Dykes Jr.; and Carl Dykes’ daughter from the United Kingdom, Carolynn Branson, stood by.
Following the dedication, the group went across the street to be served refreshments in the community room of the closed Ameris Bank branch.