It’s official, after all these years.
The quarter-mile stretch of Highway 84 in Flemington, known for years by locals as “McLarry’s Curve,” was dedicated by that name during a brief ceremony Saturday in front of Flemington City Hall.
Shortly after the highway sign was unveiled at City Hall, it was installed at the curve on Highway 84.
While the curve now is dominated by a Parker’s gas station and Thomas L. Carter Funeral Home, for 25 years, McLarry’s restaurant and gas station served Liberty County residents.
House Resolution 1655, sponsored by state Reps. Ron Stephens, R-Savannah, and Al Williams, D-Midway, honors the legacy of the restaurant.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lex McLarry purchased an establishment near a 90-degree curve at the intersection of Old Sunbury Road and Highway 84 in the mid-1940s, according to the resolution.
The structure, called McLarry’s, “was a combination café and service station well before ‘self-service’ became an everyday term,” according to the resolution.
McLarry’s, the resolution states, “was the place for local citizens to gather for a bite to eat, fill up their motor vehicle with gasoline, discuss the latest news or gossip or exchange tall tales of fishing or hunting expeditions.”
“With swiveling tools at the counter, jukeboxes affixed to each table and a hot grill serving fresh hamburgers, McLarry’s was the locale for everything from an after-game victory gathering of local high school football fans and players to a venue for local attorneys to meet and discuss strategies,” according to the resolution.