An elderly Midway woman’s home was destroyed by fire Friday morning.
Flames quickly enveloped the wood-and-mortar single-story structure in the 1100 block of Bacontown Road. Firefighter Marion Stevens Sr. said the home was fully engulfed when units from the Midway, Eastern District and Riceboro Volunteer Fire and Rescue departments arrived shortly before 8 a.m. Stevens said Lelia Carter, 75, and her granddaughter were able to leave the home without sustaining any injuries.
“Sad time for something like this to happen, but at least everyone made it out safe,” he said.
Liberty County Fire Coordinator James Ashdown said it appears that the fire may have started from a kerosene stove inside a storage area of the residence.
“We have found a kerosene stove placed near some items that are highly combustible,” he said.
Lelia Carter’s son, Lawrence Carter, said she has lived in the home for more than 60 years and would be staying with his family at his home adjacent to his mother’s property until she decides what she wants to do.
“We’re going to check with Mama and see what she wants to do. If she wants to build back, we’ll build her a home. If not, we’ll get a mobile home to put on the property,” he said.
Due to the intensity of the fire, firefighters spent several hours mopping up hot spots to make sure the blaze did not reignite.