The Long County Commission had a full plate at its Oct. 8 meeting. Here are some updates to key items of business that were discussed and acted on at that meeting.
• Accepted the resignation of recreation department director Michelle Rogers and hired Henry Strickland for 90 days as the interim director until a full-time director can be hired.
• Hired Brandy Joseph, Meagan Taylor and Kim Bierbrodt as part-time employees at the commissioner’s office.
• Hired Bob Hefley as the county’s Emergency Management Agency director.
• Approved donating $750 to the Long County High School band for its trip to perform at the 2014 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.
• Approved the recreation department bylaws.
• Approved the National Pollutant Discharge Eliminating System update.
• Approved the final plat review to continue the developing of Cutter’s Gap, phase II.
• Approved the purchase of a new air-conditioning unit for the health department at a cost of $4,000.
• Reappointed Zephirie Farlow to the Department of Family and Children Services Board.
• Approved a proclamation declaring Nov. 3 Retired Educators Day.