Seven people with ties to this area have graduated from basic infantry training.
• Pvt. Hunter M. Lawson graduated from basic at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. He Michelle Mcintosh of Gibson and a 2012 graduate of Youth Challenge Academy on Fort Stewart.
• Pvt. Sharnese S. Miller graduated from basic infantry training at Fort Jackson. She is the daughter of Matthew Blanding of Columbia, South Carolina, and Stephanie M. Miller of Midway, and granddaughter of Modie J. Miller of Midway. The private is a 2013 graduate of Liberty County High School.
• Spc. Marquita H. Brown graduated from basic at Fort Jackson. She is the granddaughter of Martha and William Martin of New Bern, North Carolina. She graduated in 2002 from Bradwell Institute, and earned a bachelor’s degree in 2012 from Columbia Southern University in Orange Beach, Alabama.
• Pvt. Andrew D. Fleming graduated basic at Fort Jackson. He is the son of Elsie and Johnny Fleming of Hinesville and a 2015 graduate of Bradwell Institute.
• Pvt. Tazondra L. Watson graduated from basic at Fort Jackson. She is the daughter of Victoria R. Turner of Hinesville and a 2015 graduate of the Bradwell Institute.
U.S. Air Force
• Airman Levi J. Bell graduated basic at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas. He is the son of Dustie and David Bell of Midway and grandson of Janice Oneal of Hinesville. He graduated in 2015 from Long County High School.
• Airman Jeffrey Grullon graduated basic at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. He is the son of Julia F. Abreu of Ocoee, Florida., and Victor J. Grullon of Lawrence, Massachusetts., and brother of Esmanuel Grullon of Ocoee, Florida, and Vicky J. Garza of Fort Stewart. The airman is a 2015 graduate of Ocoee High School.
Army Staff Sgt. Thomas J. Taylor with 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas, will be deploying with the “Dagger” Brigade for nine months to Kuwait in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
The unit will support regional partners with military exercises and security cooperation in the Central Command area.
Taylor is the son of Tony Taylor of Tularosa, New Mexico, and husband of Sopha Taylor of Fort Riley, Kansas. They have four children.
He is a 2002 graduate of Academy Del Sol in Alamogordo, New Mexico, and earned an associate degree in 2014 from Central Texas College while serving on Fort Stewart.