By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Dispute over car apparently sparked shooting
shooting photo0723
Hinesville police investigate the scene of a Monday morning shooting in the 300 block of Frasier Circle. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine

A man suffered from a single gunshot wound during a fight early Monday morning in the 300 block of Frasier Circle in Hinesville, according to information from an incident report filed by Hinesville Police Department Officer John Durden and an interview conducted with Detective Doug Snider.
The fight, according to Snider, began when Gerald Green, 21, who was sitting outside a female friend’s apartment, reportedly heard keys being raked across his Nissan Maxima as a group of four people passed by shortly after midnight. Green confronted the group and, after several minutes, he said he thought they’d resolved the matter. The group reportedly departed.
Several hours later, Green reportedly was asked to come outside by a female friend. Oscar Wright III, 18, and Quinteze Wright, 24, both of whom had been involved in the earlier altercation over Green’s vehicle, and the Wrights’ father, Oscar Wright Sr., 41, also was there.
The three younger men allegedly began fighting while Oscar Wright Sr. initially attempted to break it up. But, according to Snider, all three men eventually began to beat Green, who broke away and pulled a 9-milimeter handgun from his pocket.
Green reportedly fired one round and hit Oscar Wright Sr. in the right shoulder. Green had purchased the gun legally and was in possession of a concealed weapons permit, according to Snider.
Green returned to the apartment, where, according to Durden’s incident report, he showed the officer his hands and laid on the floor without resistance.  
The officers secured the area, and emergency medical personnel transported Oscar Wright Sr. to Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville. He later was transported to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, where he was in the intensive care unit awaiting surgery to remove the bullet.
No charges have been filed. Snider said the case still is under investigation.

Sign up for our e-newsletters